I Have Borne a Novel Era | Bindu Sharma

-Bindu Sharma

Translated from the Nepali by Hem Bishwakarma

Listen, Oh Man!

I am as light as silk-cotton of Simal tree[1]

As I have borne a dream.

 


Fastening a muslin Patuki[2]

 Around an empty womb as a cave

I hope to flutter with an aromatic breeze

I hope to weave the gleams of Venus into the old visions.

I hope to lie down beside him

The moon of Dwitiya[3] decorated on hair

The dried lips moistened with hilarity.

 

Listen, Oh Man!

Bloom dazzling sunflowers under a pillow

Keep the aroma of Jasmine on the bed

Keep filling the pleasant tune on the flute

Buzz the entire room with a tune of merriment

As pigeons' cooing

I want to portray a rainbow inviting the rain and sun

I want to glisten anointing the Bukuwa[4]

Receiving the soft pistils on my fingers

Touch him gently.

And assemble in me the blaze of firepot for him.

 

Listen, Oh Man!

I forgive your every fault

I dim every hatred gap with the warmth of life.

I rinse clean the enmity with the blood of affection—

Flowing from my body

 

To unfasten my hair restraint for years

To wake up the unvoiced desires in the heart

Like a shirphool[5] on a bride's hair.

To fill up the sound to the pledged speech

To blossom my heart faded like an autumn flower

I have borne the dearest dream I had for years

 

In the numbness of dark

In the dreadful solitude

With the soft dawn of the Eastern breeze

I have unveiled a mass of rays

 

Listen, Oh Man!

I am as light as cotton of Simal tree

I have borne a novel dream, a daughter

Capable of lifting the earth up as a mother.

 

 



[1] Bombax Ceiba, an Asian tropical tree.

[2] A cotton waistband

[3] Second day in the Lunar fortnight of the Hindu Calendar.

[4] Scented powder usually composed of turmeric, mustard-seed powder and oil; used to anointing body.

[5] A golden flower-shaped ornament used by women.

Post a Comment

0 Comments