I have Borne a Novel Era



-Bindu Sharma

Translated from the Nepali by Hem Bishwakarma



Listen, Oh Man!

I am as light as silk-cotton of Simal tree1

As I have borne a dream.




 





Fastening a muslin Patuki2

Around
an empty womb as a cave

I hope to flutter with an aromatic

breeze

I hope to weave the gleams of Venus into
the old visions.

I hope to lie down beside him

The moon of Dwitiya3,decorated on hair

The dried lips moistened with hilarity.


Listen, Oh Man!

Bloom dazzling sunflowers under the pillow

Keep the aroma of Jasmine on the bed

Keep filling the pleasant tune on the flute

Buzz the entire room with a tune of

merriment

As pigeons' cooing

I want to portray a rainbow inviting
the rain and sun

I want to glisten anointing the Bukuwa4



Receiving the soft pistils on my
fingers

Touch him gently.

And assemble in me the blaze of firepot
for him.


Listen, Oh Man!

I forgive your every fault

I dim every hatred gap with the warmth of
life.

I rinse clean the enmity with the blood
of affection—

Flowing from my body

To unfasten my hair restraint for years

To wake up the unvoiced desires in the heart

Like a shirphool 5

on a bride's hair.

To fill up the sound to the pledged
speech

To blossom my heart faded like an
autumn flower

I have borne the dearest dream I had for
years



In the numbness of dark

In the dreadful solitude

With the soft dawn of the Eastern breeze

I have unveiled a mass of rays


Listen, Oh Man!

I am as light as cotton of Simal tree

I have borne a novel dream, a daughter

Capable of lifting the earth up as a
mother.




[1] Bombax Ceiba, an Asian tropical tree.
[2] A cotton waistband
[3] Second day in the Lunar fortnight of the Hindu Calendar.
[4] Scented powder is usually composed of turmeric, mustard-seed powder and oil; used to anoint the body.
[5]A golden flower-shaped ornament that is used by women.





Post a Comment

0 Comments